Aktuality:

Content

The Marian Column

is a prominent feature of náměstí Československé armády. It was built in 1723–1727 and it is an important work of Matthias Bernhard Braun and his sculpting workshop.

As we know, M. B. Braun is famous for his work on the decorations of Sporck’s Kuks, which led him to Jaroměř, where he married Maria Elisabeth Miselius, a local’s daughter, in 1719.

Jaroměř took advantage of Braun’s relationship to the town and in 1721 it commissioned him to make a statue to honour the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary. The costs of 1,321 guilders were paid mainly by the town inhabitants’ donations. Braun himself charged the town less than usual. The master sculptor created the composition, sketches and models of the column, which was then created by his collaborators Jan and Řehoř Thény.

The column began to be built in 1723 and the next year it was almost finished. Then it was coated with white lead and linseed oi and partially gilded, and a forged railing was added. It was consecrated in 1727.

The column features rich sculpting decorations, whose originals were replaced with faithful copies in the 1990s. The originals can now be seen in Bastion no. 1 in the Josefov Fortress.

Marian ColumnThe Marian Column is a prominent feature of náměstí Československé armády. It was built in 1723–1727 and it is an important work of Matthias Bernhard Braun and his sculpting workshop.  As we know, M. B. Braun is famous for his work on the decorations of Sporck’s Kuks, which led him to Jaroměř, where he married Maria Elisabeth Miselius, a local’s daughter, in 1719. Jaroměř took advantage of Braun’s relationship to the town and in 1721 it commissioned him to make a statue to honour the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary. The costs of 1,321 guilders were paid mainly by the town inhabitants’ donations. Braun himself charged the town less than usual. The master sculptor created the composition, sketches and models of the column, which was then created by his collaborators Jan and Řehoř Thény. The column began to be built in 1723 and the next year it was almost finished. Then it was coated with white lead and linseed oi and partially gilded, and a forged railing was added. It was consecrated in 1727. The column features rich sculpting decorations, whose originals were replaced with faithful copies in the 1990s. The originals can now be seen in Bastion no. 1 in the Josefov Fortress.