The public library in Jaroměř was founded on 3 October 1896 as a result of the libraries of the individual associations being united. The basis of the library consisted of 719 volumes, but gradually the public library of Jaroměř became the fourth largest library in the Czech Republic (after Prague, Pilsen and Litomyšl). In its beginnings the founders determined the following three basic purposes:
- provide books to the widest possible scope of population
- serve as a studying library
- collect all regional literature on the Jaroměř area as well as works written by the town’s natives and inhabitants
At that time the library of Jaroměř was already used as a regional library. Its scope of activity included not only Jaroměř and Josefov but also twenty other towns.
The Current Municipal Library has the following departments:
- Department of acquisitions, processing and protection of the collections
- Services for readers
- Department of regional cervices
- Regional information centre
Besides the main building there are also branches in Zavadilka and Josefov.