The public library in Jaroměř was founded on 3 October 1896 as a result of the libraries of the individual associations being united. The basis of the library consisted of 719 volumes, but gradually the public library of Jaroměř became the fourth largest library in the Czech Republic (after Prague, Pilsen and Litomyšl). In its beginnings the founders determined the following three basic purposes:
At that time the library of Jaroměř was already used as a regional library. Its scope of activity included not only Jaroměř and Josefov but also twenty other towns.
The Current Municipal Library has the following departments:
Besides the main building there are also branches in Zavadilka and Josefov.