The Army Cemetery
was founded when the fortress was being built and it one of the first cemeteries in the Czech Republic which were founded outside a town. Fortress commanders, Josefov inhabitants killed in wars, and prisoners of war are buried there. A remarkable memorial by Russian sculptor N. A. Shushkin, built in 1916, is dedicated to the prisoners of war from WWI.
More than 2,000 prisoners and soldiers of the Austro-Hungarian Army who died during WWI in the fortress and in the former military hospital in Josefov are buried there.